In today’s world, it seems like we can’t go a week without hearing about some new celebrity scandal. From cheating spouses to secret love children, the lives of the rich and famous are always full of drama. Here are some of the juiciest celebrity scandals of the year:
1. Tristan Thompson and Jordyn Woods: This scandal rocked the Kardashian-Jenner family when it was revealed that Tristan Thompson, the boyfriend of Khloe Kardashian, had cheated on her with her sister Kylie Jenner’s best friend, Jordyn Woods. The fallout from this scandal was intense, with Jordyn losing her friendship with Kylie and Khloe ultimately ending her relationship with Tristan.
2. Lori Loughlin and the College Admissions Scandal: Actress Lori Loughlin, best known for her role on Full House, was one of the many wealthy parents caught up in the college admissions scandal. Loughlin and her husband allegedly paid $500,000 to get their daughters into the University of Southern California as crew recruits, even though neither of them had ever rowed before.
3. Kevin Hart’s Infidelity: Comedian Kevin Hart found himself in hot water when a video surfaced showing him cheating on his pregnant wife. Hart ultimately apologized for his behavior and worked to repair his relationship with his family.
4. Jeffrey Epstein: The death of financier Jeffrey Epstein was one of the biggest scandals of the year. Epstein was facing charges of sex trafficking and conspiracy when he was found dead in his jail cell. Many people have questioned the circumstances surrounding his death and the role that powerful people may have played in protecting him.
5. Prince Andrew and the Epstein Scandal: Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, was also caught up in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal. Andrew had been friends with Epstein for years and was accused of having sex with a 17-year-old girl who was allegedly trafficked by Epstein. Andrew has denied the allegations, but the scandal has tarnished his reputation and raised questions about his judgment.
6. Taylor Swift and Scooter Braun: In June, Taylor Swift took to social media to express her frustration with music manager Scooter Braun, who had recently acquired the rights to her entire back catalog. Swift accused Braun of bullying her in the past and claimed that he was now preventing her from performing her old songs at an upcoming awards show. The feud between the two has continued to play out in the media, with many of Swift’s fans coming to her defense.
7. R. Kelly’s Legal Troubles: R&B singer R. Kelly has been in legal hot water for years, but 2019 saw a number of new charges and allegations against him. In February, Kelly was charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, and in July he was arrested on federal charges of sex trafficking and racketeering. Kelly has denied all of the allegations against him, but the scandal has had a significant impact on his career and reputation.
8. Jussie Smollett’s Alleged Hate Crime Hoax: In January, Empire actor Jussie Smollett claimed that he had been the victim of a hate crime in Chicago. However, as the investigation unfolded, it became clear that Smollett had allegedly staged the attack himself in an attempt to gain publicity. Smollett was eventually charged with disorderly conduct and filing a false police report, but the scandal has continued to follow him.
9. Felicity Huffman’s College Admissions Scandal: Along with Lori Loughlin, actress Felicity Huffman was also caught up in the college admissions scandal. Huffman pleaded guilty to paying $15,000 to have her daughter’s SAT scores boosted, and was sentenced to 14 days in prison. The scandal has raised questions about the fairness of the college admissions process and the lengths that some parents will go to in order to get their kids into top schools.
10. The College Admissions Scandal: Beyond the involvement of Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman, the college admissions scandal involved a number of other high-profile individuals. Among those charged were CEOs, coaches, and other wealthy parents who allegedly paid bribes to get their children into elite universities. The scandal has raised serious questions about the fairness of the college admissions process and the ways in which privilege can be used to gain an unfair advantage.
11. James Charles and Tati Westbrook: Beauty YouTubers James Charles and Tati Westbrook were involved in a very public falling out earlier this year. Westbrook accused Charles of betraying her trust and promoting a rival brand, while Charles apologized for his behavior and attempted to make amends. The feud quickly went viral and resulted in both creators losing subscribers and sponsors.
12. The Kardashian-Jenner Cheating Scandals: The Kardashian-Jenner family was rocked by not one, but two cheating scandals this year. In addition to Tristan Thompson’s affair with Jordyn Woods, it was also revealed that Kylie Jenner’s boyfriend Travis Scott had allegedly cheated on her. Both couples weathered the scandals and appear to have worked through their issues.
13. The College Cheating Scandal: In addition to the college admissions scandal, there was also a separate cheating scandal involving standardized tests. A number of wealthy parents were accused of paying bribes to have their children’s SAT and ACT scores changed or to have someone else take the tests for them. The scandal has once again highlighted the ways in which privilege can be used to gain an unfair advantage.
14. Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth’s Divorce: After ten years together, Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth announced their separation in August. The split was not without controversy, with rumors swirling about infidelity and substance abuse. Cyrus has been open about her struggles with mental health and has said that her music reflects the ups and downs of her personal life.
15. The Jeffrey Epstein Documentary: In addition to the scandal surrounding Epstein’s death, there was also a great deal of interest in the documentary series about his life and crimes. The series, which aired on Netflix, explored the ways in which Epstein used his wealth and power to prey on vulnerable young women.
16. The Harvey Weinstein Trial: The trial of disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein began in January and has continued to make headlines throughout the year. Weinstein is facing charges of rape and sexual assault, and the trial has brought renewed attention to the #MeToo movement and the ways in which powerful men have abused their positions of authority.
17. The Ellen DeGeneres Controversy: Ellen DeGeneres, one of the most beloved figures in daytime television, found herself at the center of controversy this year when former employees accused her show of fostering a toxic work environment. DeGeneres apologized for the behavior of some of her staff and vowed to make changes, but the scandal has raised questions about the true nature of her on-screen persona.
These scandals are just a few more examples of the ways in which celebrity culture can be both fascinating and troubling. From cheating and infidelity to sexual assault and abuse of power, these stories remind us that even the most glamorous lives can be fraught with scandal and controversy.